Monday, April 10, 2006

underground, overground wandering free....

Up until about two minutes ago, I was having a great day. Started off with discovering that Special K over here is how it used to be YEARS ago over in England; kind of like discs made out of rice crispie type stuff. Lovely :-) Since breakfast, I've been traipsing around town generally exploring - I walked from the apt to work to see how long it would take (15 mins....would be less than 10 if I didn't have to wait at the red hand with everyone else even though there were NO cars in the vicinity...).

I then went to the main post office and bought some stamps in preparation of the new letter writing phase of my life...quite excited about that. Am having visions of Jane Austen type scenarios, I wonder if I could fashion a seal with some of my candles and a potato masher?

Then I just mooched about - went to the tourism office and talked for ages with a nice old chap about his house swapping antics. (Yes, I did mean house). He directed me to the Calgary 'plus 15' system which is basically a network of walkways (15ft above street level - you see?) which connect loads of shopping malls in the first few floors of all the big office blocks in the downtown area. LOTS of shops. LOADS. Quite daunting actually, but I intend to face my fears as frequently as possible armed with my debit card!

Wandered home via safeway, feeling quite in the Calgary vibe having wandered for hours. I'm now a card carrying member of the safeway "club" which today saved me about $20 on my shopping bill!!! woo hoo!!! I even bought some lemon iced tea. Ok, not intentionally; I was rather absent mindedly reaching for the "coke zero" and got distracted by a cute guy. However I was thirsty so drank it and...gasp: it wasn't that bad!!! Actually there were quite a few cute guys in the supermarket so I was paying attention to my shopping basket and trying to put items in there that said 'hey, I'm a single girl about town who's fun, eats well and you'd probably do well to ask her out to hang with you and your other cute single buddies'. This lasted all of 2 minutes - they've got heinz barbie pasta shapes over here too!!! Sparkly pink tins of joy :-)

Anyway - back from random tangent. Came home to an email saying that I'll have to drive [in my imaginary car] to a US/ Canada border point in order to get a work permit as the people in Montreal messed up. That's all I know at the moment, but it does NOT sound like a fun thing to have to be doing...

However even this news cannot dampen my mood, so I think I will crack open my solitary bottle of wine (thanks Proll!) and toast myself. In a way that doesn't sound too loser-ish.

Cheers!

No comments: