Sunday, April 09, 2006

Not in kansas anymore...

I am beginning to notice some differences over here.....its strange as most things are familiar, but there's something 'not quite right' about it all.

Size: things are BIGGER over here! Its hard to find orange juice/ milk/ anything smaller than industrial vat sized which makes carrying things back from my local safeway less than fun

Brands: some are recognizable although on closer inspection, tous est en francais. There doesn't seem to be as much choice over here...especially in things like washing powder. Tide. That's it. Fabric softener doesn't really factor into their lives as everyone tumble dries things over here. [Connected to the tumble drier concept - EVERYTHING seems to go into the dishwasher...couldn't find drying cloths anywhere and then when I look at my sink area, there isn't actually any space to dry stuff...]

TV: there really are 57 (and then some...) channels and nothing on. Bruce got it right.

Crossing the road: everyone seems to wait for the green man; even if there's no traffic at all. I kind of want to just cross the road as I normally would, but concerned that I'll set off some alarm and it will all be horribly embarassing so I wait with everyone else feeling slightly stupid. Also - cars actually stop for you when you're waiting at the side of the road if there's no green man thingy.

No comments: