Monday, August 07, 2006

Mountains, lakes and waterfalls - oh my!

Yesterday I took a trip around Alberta's m, l & w and all I can say is WOW. Wow wow wow. I got picked up yesterday morning at 6.05am (well, actually 6.15am as busman was late...either way, still WAY too early for a Sunday!!) and after a few stops, we made it to Banff, which is a ski resort from November - April/ May and gorgeously pretty the rest of the year.

It’s also quite cold. Getting dressed at 5am, I was focusing more on the glorious forecast of 29C and not on the fact that I was going UP INTO THE MOUNTAINS. Suffice to say, when I got off the coach to spend 90 mins looking around Banff and I could see my breath in front of me, my t-shirt didn't seem like such a good idea. At all. My first clue should have been the attire of all the other seasoned travelers who were all in parkas and/ or jumpers. After calling my sister to practically cry down the phone about exactly how cold I was, I saw, incredibly, (don’t forget, this is about 8am on a Sunday) a shop that was open. Hurrah! After a nice chat with the woman who ran the shop who’s been here 23 years but is originally from East London I was the proud owner of a new black fleece.

Banff itself is gorgeous, I’d love to go there again; hopefully I’ll be able to hit it in ski season. First stop was a lovely waterfall at Johnston Canyon. After that, it was a whirlwind of incredible upon incredible. My favourite places were Lake Louise where we stopped for lunch and Lake Moraine . Just breathtaking. The water is a crazy turquoise green and they are just so peaceful.

You can see pics on my flickr site here

No comments: